Special Needs Students

My student has special needs. What happens if she/he has to change schools?

RRPS is obligated to provide services to students identified with special needs regardless of which school the student attends, subject to the terms in the student’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or other agreement. Students receive services at the school they would attend if they were not eligible to receive special education services, unless the IEP requires other arrangements. Therefore, if you live in an area that would change schools because of the boundary realignment, your child most likely will transfer to the new school.

RRPS has outstanding special service providers at all of its schools. If your student has special needs and has to change schools, the teams at your old and new schools will work together to provide a supportive environment and make the change as easy as possible for you and your child.