Substitute and Student Teaching

Human Resources

Substitute and Student Teacher Information

Substitute Teaching in Rio Rancho Public Schools
Rio Rancho Public Schools is working hard to build a highly-qualified group of substitute personnel to work in our district. Substitutes work on an “as needed” basis depending upon available assignments. Subs are placed on a salary schedule based on official college transcript hours or possession of current teaching license.

If offered employment, you will be asked to provide official transcripts, or a copy of a current teaching license. It would be in your best interest to request official college transcripts or high school/GED certificate to document your education status after you’ve been hired. All employment in the district is contingent upon satisfactory criminal background checks and satisfactory references.

  1. Go to the Job Application Procedure page and review all information about the general job search and application procedures.
  2. If subs are being hired, the position will be posted.
  3. It's helpful to have all required documents available in digital format so that you may attach them to your application.
Our Substitute Services Staff will be available from 1pm - 4:30pm Monday through Thursday at the District Office for walk-in hours. Call 896-0667 Ext. 51243 if further information is needed or email us:

Student Teaching in RRPS
Rio Rancho Public School District welcomes the opportunity to place student teachers. Our schools are site-based managed; therefore, the final acceptance of placement is determined by the building administrator.

Please read over this Student Teacher Placement Process first.

Background Check
Students must contact Claudine Baldwin for information on obtaining an FBI Background Check.  The fee for the background check is $44.  Once  scanned, fingerprints will be submitted to Santa Fe DPS and then to the state FBI for processing.  Once the background check results are received by RRPS, the student will be contacted and directed to the next step in the process.  

Those students requesting the opportunity to complete observation hours at RRPS school sites must obtain a background check.  Please contact Claudine Baldwin for information on obtaining a background check. The student is required to present proof of current enrollment in a program requiring observation ours.  This document must be submitted to Claudine Baldwin, HR Specialist.  The student will be provided a memorandum stating they have been cleared by Human Resources to complete observation hours. It will be the responsibility of the student to gain approval of individual building administration. 

Student Teaching/Intern
The college or university will secure a placement with the school Principal. Students are not expected to arrange their own placement. Once placement is finalized, the Principal will inform HR of the placement, and the college or university will instruct the student to contact Claudine Baldwin, Substitute Services Specialist, to make an appointment to complete paperwork.

Substituting while Student Teaching
Before authorization to substitute (for cooperating teacher only) the student teacher must:
  • Contact Substitute Services: 505-962-1243
  • Provide official transcripts to HR
  • Provide a copy of the college or university policy allowing students to substitute while student teaching
  • Complete the application for substitute license (form available from HR) and turn the completed application in to HR
  • Provide a cashier’s check or money order in the amount of $35.00 payable to NMPED to accompany the application for licensure.
Direct questions to: Claudine Baldwin, Substitute Services Specialist